|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||18 and 19 The Street|
A pair of 17th and 18th century flint and brick cottages with a flint stair turret and a 19th century single-storey wing.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1502 3487|
|Parish:||MATLASK, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
22 May 1980. Visited by E. Rose (NAU)
Knapped flint, of two storeys, early 17th century.
East gable wall has three pairs (one above the other) of blocked small windows with hoodmoulds and jambs of moulded brick. One retains wooden mullions. Two octagonal chimneys on top. Brick quoins. South facade has traces of brick ornamentation or cornice under eaves. Present south windows (2 bays) are 18th century and the roof has been raised. On west cottage adjoining, lower, uncertain date but base of walls of similar flintwork - perhaps once part of same house.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 May 1980.
(S1) dates the western lower portion to the 18th century - upper part only ? - and notes on older section a flint stair turret at rear with large hoodmoulded rear window. Also a low rear extension dated 1868 with octagonal chimney.
E. Rose (NAU) 1 August 1986.
February 1987. Listed, Grade II.
Nos. 18 and 19 II Two attached cottages C17 and C18; 2 higher bays to right, 3 lower bays to left. Right hand side 2 bays: galletted knapped flint with brick dressings under black glazed pantiles; dogs tooth cornice and remains of former castellated brick cornice. 2 storeys and attic. Two cross casements to each floor with glazing bars; right end internal stack with 2 fat octagonal brick shafts on chamfered square plinths. Right hand gable windows all with square brick hood moulds; 2 blocked to ground floor; one blocked and one with brick mullion to first floor; one blocked, one with wood mullion to attic. Rear outshut in brick with pantiles. Stair turret in flint with large blocked side window under square brick hood mould. Left hand side bays: 2 storeys and attic; ground floor flint, upper floor rendered, black unglazed pantiles; 3 casements to each floor, 2 roof dormers, 2 doors to ground floor. Left hand gable of coursed flint and brick, upper part rebuilt. Single storey brick extension on flint plinth to rear dated 1868 ITM (John Thomas Mott) on plaque. Octagonal chimney shaft of 1868 at gable end of extension.
Information from (S1).
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 609. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1304554. |
Related records - none
Find out more...