|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of two windmills|
This site of a two windmills, one postmill and one tower mill, is marked on the Ordnance Survey first edition map. They were out of use by 1937 and were destroyed during World War Two. Excavation on the site of the nearby miller's house found ritually deposited bones of a goose.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0601 9609|
|Parish:||BESTHORPE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Site of wind mill.
Marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 27 March 1980.
Two mills - post and tower, on (S2). Both out of use 1937. Tower demolished in World War Two by Americans.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 January 1982.
Base excavated as garden feature. Information from Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society. .
E. Rose (NAU), 21 June 1985.
Under floor of associated miller’s house; sysnsacrum and pelvis of small goose/large duck. Ritual deposit?
E. Rose (NLA), 27 September 2004.
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- RITUAL ARTEFACT (Unknown date)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished Document: Irwin, A.G.. 2004. Email. 22 September. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Map: Greenwood, C. & J.. 1834. Map of the County of Norfolk from an Actual Survey. |
Related records - none
Find out more...