Record Details

NHER Number:15943
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Blofield Union Workhouse and 'Homelea'

Summary

This is the site of a workhouse constructed in 1837 for the Blofield Union and designed by John Brown (S1). During the First World War parts of the workhouse were used to accommodate troops as well as inmates from Rollesby Workhouse which closed in January 1917. In 1948 the building was converted to a home for old people and renamed ‘Homelea.’ However, the workhouse buildings were demolished in 1976 and a sheltered home complex was built under the same name.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 360 080
Map Sheet:TG30NE
Parish:LINGWOOD AND BURLINGHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

This is the site of a workhouse constructed in 1837 for the Blofield Union and designed by John Brown (S1). The red brick workhouse was situated within 8 acres and could house up to 250 inmates. It also included a separate hospital that could accommodate 20 patients. During the First World War parts of the workhouse were used to accommodate troops as well as inmates from Rollesby Workhouse which closed in January 1917. In 1948 the building was converted to a home for old people and renamed ‘Homelea.’ However, the workhouse buildings were demolished in 1976 and a sheltered home complex was built under the same name.
A poorhouse is marked at this location on (S2), which predates the date of construction of the Blofield Union Workhouse. However, it is possible that this merely indicates that the building was already planned by the time this map was printed.
Information from Gressenhall Farm and Workhouse Museum.
E. Rose (NAU) 26 March 1980.
Updated H. Hamilton (HES), 28 May 2014.

Monument Types

  • WORKHOUSE (Post Medieval to Cold War - 1837 AD to 1948 AD)
  • BILLET (World War One - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
  • CARE HOME (Cold War - 1948 AD to 1976 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Serial: Pevsner, N.. North East Norfolk and Norwich..
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service