|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval lime kiln and marl pit|
A lime kiln and a cut leading to the river are marked here on the first edition Ordnance Survey map made in 1838. Two lime kilns are recorded here in 1699. Marl pit is noted in 1937 to have been in heavy use from 1700-1900.
Images - none
Site of lime kiln, with cut leading to river.
Kiln marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 26 March 1980.
No traces of kiln now, and cut has been blocked up.
Two kilns were recorded here in 1699.
Information from Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society records.
The cut remains, though with virtually no water in it and crossed by fallen trees. Seen only from footbridge - site of kiln not seen.
E. Rose (NLA), 23 December 1998.
The marl pit is noted in "A History of Horstead and Stanninghall" by Percy Millican in 1937 who states that the pits were used on an industrial scale in the 18th and 19th centuries and that by 1937 they had been left abandoned.
Information from NIAS records (S2)
W. Arnold (HES), 06/12/2010.
Site originally marked on Nicholson's map 1699 as two lime kilns. It is further marked on 1ins O.S. 1838 (S3), Tithe map 1838 (S4) and noted in Kelly's Directory 1865 (S5).
W. Arnold (HES) 13/12/2010
- LIME KILN (17th Century to 19th Century - 1699 AD? to 1865 AD?)
- MARL PIT (17th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1700 AD? to 1937 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
|<S3>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S4>||Map: 1839. Tithe map. |
|<S5>||Directory: Kelly, E.. Kelly's Directory of Norfolk.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...