Record Details

NHER Number:15920
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval post mill

Summary

This is the site of a post medieval windmill that was demolished in 1928. Old photographs show it was a post mill.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9882 1097
Map Sheet:TF91SE
Parish:DEREHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

On site of modern mills.
Site of Toftwood wind mill. Marked on (S1) but not on (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 26 March 1980.

Despite omission from (S2), a post mill here before 1778. Demolished 1928.
E. Rose (NAU), 2 February 1982.

(S3) has photograph of drawing of 1778 said to be the original architects sketch; shows a large postmill.
E. Rose (NAU), 5 June 1984.

(S4), shows large post mill on brick round house, four Cubitts sails blanked at roots. Upper storey to round house, mill stone against shed behind.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 July 1986.

Monument Types

  • POST MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S2>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S3>Monograph: Cook, M.. 1984. Looking Back at Dereham..
<S4>Newspaper Article: Dereham and Fakenham Times. 1986. Dereham and Fakenham Times. 18 July.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service