Record Details

NHER Number:15854
Type of record:Monument
Name:Antingham Ponds

Summary

An 18th or 19th century watermill that has been converted into a house. It was constructed across the River Ant and a lake formed behind it.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2644 3247
Map Sheet:TG23SE
Parish:ANTINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

March 1980.
Bone mill (water powered) marked at outlet of lake on 1st edition 1 inch Ordnance Survey map 1836 (S1).
A building still marked here on current 6 inch Ordnance Survey map.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 March 1980.

September 1988.
Newspaper cutting (S2) describes as an 18th century mill converted to a house.
House and lake called Antingham Ponds.
Built across the River Ant - a pond formed as a result.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 September 1988.

December 1997.
This is presumably the 'bone mill on the canal at Antingham' built by the fourth Baron Suffield - the context suggests in 1826, the year after the canal was opened - if so the above 18th century day is correct.
(S3).
E.Rose (NLA), 23 December 1997.

July 2005.
House and lake called Antingham Ponds.
Built across the River Ant - a pond formed as a result.
(S1).
D. Robertson (NLA), July 18 2005.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S2>Newspaper Article: 30 September. Eastern Daily Press.
<S3>Publication: Joby, R.. 1975. The East Norfolk Railway.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service