|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of a post medieval lime kiln|
This is the site of a post medieval lime kiln. The kiln had clunch walls with a tunnel vault of red brick stretchers. It was used until World War Two by Henry Smith. The kiln has now been demolished.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 80156 43379|
|Parish:||BRANCASTER, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Clunch walls with tunnel vault of red brick stretchers. Brickwork in bowl very well laid, some vertically. Nearby a low brick arch in wall of pit like tunnel entrance, but only about 1.5m (5 feet) deep, ending in back wall composed of clunch. Not on (S1) (but a barn nearby is dated 1815). Used until World War Two by Henry Smith. Bat roosting site. Owner's willing to preserve.
E. James (KLM) 26 February 1980.
Marked on (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 13 March 2001.
Kiln apparently destroyed between 1980 visit and present. However, no trace of recent work.
E. Rose (NLA), 3 October 2003.
- LIME KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Verbal Communication: 2003. James, E.. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
Related records - none
Find out more...