|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Post medieval witch bottles|
Two post medieval stoneware jars containing pins and rodent bones were found under a hearth and doorstep in 1964. They were intended to ward off evil spirits.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1137 2744|
|Parish:||HEYDON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
In eastern of lodges at end of village street.
Witch bottle found under doorstep, another under hearth.
Both bellarmines, containing pins, vole and rat bones.
The lodge appears to be early 19th century, but may stand on an older site. Information from D. Edwards (NAU) who saw the bottles and pins.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 February 1980.
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CEREMONIAL OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WITCH BOTTLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG 1127J,K. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...