|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi-period finds scatter|
A Roman copper alloy ring, decorated with an intaglio of a figure which may be Cupid, and a medieval or post medieval coin weight or harness, found by metal detecting.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 47 04|
|Parish:||BURGH CASTLE, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Over a number of years pre 1980.
In field behind old cement works.
Found both with metal detecting and in fieldwalking.
Copper alloy Roman ring, bezel with blue glass, oval setting decorated with intaglio figure of Cupid?
Medieval silver alloy harness mount; bronze disc with leaf mofit, spike on reverse for attachment to leather, probably late medieval or 16th century.
Coin weight for a noble, 15th to 16th century.
Identified by A. K. Lawson (NAU) and S. Margeson (NCM)
S. Margeson (NCM) 12 February 1980.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- RING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN WEIGHT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DISC (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HARNESS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN WEIGHT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HARNESS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Illustration: Finds Illustration. |
|---||Monograph: Ashley, S.. 2002. Medieval Armorial Horse Furniture in Norfolk.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 101. |
Related records - none
Find out more...