Record Details

NHER Number:15777
Type of record:Building
Name:No 4 and 6 Market Street

Summary

No 4 and 6 are early 17th century shops that may or may not be connected. Both are timber-framed and have jettied street ranges, although No 6 also has a long rear wing. The internal details date to the early 17th century, although there is one beam thought to date to around 1500 which may be reset from another property. The façade has 18th century brick cladding and has undergone a 19th century restoration.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1092 0151
Map Sheet:TG10SW
Parish:WYMONDHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

December 1950. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Shops. Early 17th century, enlarged c1700, altered since, especially late 20th century. Timber-framed with brick skin. Plaintiled roof with pantiles to rear cross wings. 2 storeys and dormer attic. No.4: 20th century plate glass shop front and door under jetty. Large glazed window to first floor. No.6 also jettied, in 3 bays. Central door within panelled reveals flanked by one sash right and left with glazing bars. False studwork to first floor which is lit through 2 renewed 2-light cross casements. To east is a carriage entrance to passage, also under jetty. Gabled continuous roof with 3 gabled dormers. Internal gable end stack to west. East side of main cross wing of 2 storeys in 3 bays. Ground floor of brick. 3 sashes each floor, that to top left replaced. Gabled roof with a stepped south gable carrying an internal stack. Ridge stack right of centre. Early 19th century outshut in entrant angle. West side retains an early 18th century sash with glazing bars and flush frame to first floor.
INTERIOR: Interior of No.6 not inspected. Ground floor of No.4 opened out 1988-89 leaving only a cut-down fireplace bressumer: sunk quadrant mouldings. Winder south of stack. Roof of 2 tiers staggered butt purlins, partially rebuilt.
Information from (S1).

Timber framed and jettied street ranges, No 4 may in fact have no connection with No 6. Long rear wing to No 6. Internal details early 17th century except for one beam of around 1500 which may well be reset. 18th century brick cladding; 19th century restoration.
For further details see report (S2).
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 27 May 2000.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • PUBLIC HOUSE? (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • SHOP (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 800.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1218327.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. 2000. Building Survey.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service