Record Details

NHER Number:15447
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of two post medieval post mills

Summary

Two windmills are marked here on Faden's 1797 Map of Norfolk and the Horning enclosure map of 1818. One of the post mills was the first in Britain to have Cubitts patent sails.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3409 1757
Map Sheet:TG31NW
Parish:HORNING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Two wind mills marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 7 November 1979.

Two post mills and a horse mill offered for sale 1801. Only one post mill by 1858, demolished 1879.
E. Rose (NAU), 10 February 1982.

One of the post mills was built (rebuilt?) by England and was the first postmill in Britain to have Cubitts patent sails (though Stalham smockmill had them earlier).
E. Rose (NLA), 22 January 2002.

November 2006.
The grid reference for these two mills has been amended from TG 341 174 to TG 3409 1757. Both of these post mills were located to the south of Mill Loke at Horning and are depicted on the 1818 Horning enclosure map (S2). At that time they were shown to be accessed by a U-shaped track from the south and lay in a field marked ‘Gurneys’. The grid reference relates to the northwestern mill which is marked on the first edition six inch to the mile Ordnance Survey map (S3). Details of this mill, including a nineteenth century photograph, are also available on (S4). Although several sources claim that this post mill had been demolished by 1879 (see above) its presence on the first edition Ordnance Survey map suggests that it continued after that date. The second mill that is depicted on Faden’s 1797 map and the 1818 enclosure map (S1-S2) was located a short distance to the southeast near TG 3415 1754.
J. Albone (NMP), 23 November 2006

Monument Types

  • POST MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Map: Pratt, R.(jnr). 1818. Plan of Horning referring to the Commrs Award (Enclosure Map). 1 inch : 9 chains.
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1887-1891. Ordnance Survey first edition 6 inch (1887-1891) Sheet LII.NE.
<S4>Website: Neville, J.. 2005. http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/Windmills/horning-postmill.html.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service