Record Details

NHER Number:15444
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval post mill

Summary

This post mill was built in 1770, is shown on Faden's map of 1797 and was last used in 1916. It was demolished in 1937 but its foundations remain. Of the outbuildings associated with the mill, only one barn remains. The quarter bars of the mill sail have been incorporated into the roof of the barn.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 387 209
Map Sheet:TG32SE
Parish:CATFIELD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of wind mill.
Marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 7 November 1979.

A post mill built in 1770, last used 1916, demolished 1937. Foundations remain.
Information from [1].
E. Rose (NAU), 2 February 1982.

However (S2) in file says that windmill was dismantled in 'about' 1925. But the accompanying picture of a house was taken 1938 and there may be some confusion. [1]'s date of 1937 is more likely to be correct.
E. Rose (NLA), 23 June 1993.

In 1782 the site consisted of the mill, two barns, two stables, a bullock lodge with a granary over it, sheds and cart lodges. These buildings were still present in 1906, but in 2008 only one barn and the house remain.
A section of the windmill sail is now at Bridewell Museum, Norwich. The quarter bars from the sail were incorporated into the roof of the barn when it was altered in 1939 and will be retained during restoration work and conversion to a residence in 2008.
Information from (S3).
H. Hamilton (NLA), 19 February 2008.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1770 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1770 AD to 1937 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval to Modern - 1782 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • GRANARY (Post Medieval to Modern - 1782 AD? to 1937 AD?)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1782 AD? to 1937 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Newspaper Article: 1993. Eastern Daily Press. 23 June 1988.
<S3>Unpublished document: Palmer, R.. 2008. Proposed Conversion of Barn to Annex, at Mill House, Ludham Road, Catfield..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service