|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Old Rectory, Fincham|
A 17th century former rectory, extensively rebuilt in 1827. An 18th century round building, possibly a dovecote stands in the grounds. Both the house and the dovecote contain reused medieval stonework, which may have come from St Michael's Chuch (NHER 4358).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6861 0631|
|Parish:||FINCHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1624, possibly from older building. Reconstructed 1827 by S. Donthorne.
Much medieval stone, possibly from St Michael's (NHER 4358).
E. Rose (NAU), 6 August 1980.
April 1985. Listed, Grade II.
Rectory, now private house. Early C17, rebuilt C18, rebuilt again 1827 by Donthorne. Carstone, brick and clunch. Pantiled roofs, some black glazed. Half H plan with inserted block in court of 1827. Symmetrical facade. 2 storey central block flanked by remodelled cross wings. Central door behind gabled porch with shouldered gable. One narrow side sash with glazing bars each floor and central 3-light transomed window above porch. Windows within rendered brick surrounds. String course and parapet. Cross wings with bays to ground floor containing 4-light cross casements. First floor windows are 3-light transomed casements under hoods on head stops. Triangular-headed 2-light attic windows. Rear of 2 storeys and attic. C20 canted bay extension to ground floor and scattered fenestration, largely mid C19 sashes but with 2 early C19 tripartite sash windows. 3 flat dormers in gabled roof. Ridge stack right of centre bears date 1624 and is only survivor of original house. Interior has panelled staircase well. Roof of staggered butt purlins. Collars removed and tie beams shaved to floor level.
Information from (S2).
H. Mellor (HES), 26 June 2017.
- HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VICARAGE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1992. Unusual trio now on the market. 25 August. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Photograph: Champion, M.. 1995. A to C. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1990. [Sale advertisement for the Old Rectory, Fincham]. 10 July. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 338. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NAU). 1980. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077827. |
|55725||Related to: Dovecote at Old Rectory (Building)|
|MNO4264||Related to: Dovecote to the Old Rectory High Street FINCHAM (Revoked)|
Find out more...