Record Details

NHER Number:15227
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of former almshouse and workhouse

Summary

This is the site of an almshouse that was subsequently used as a workhouse and is marked on Faden's Map of 1797. The workhouse is referred to as still holding the poor in 1836.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0697 3279
Map Sheet:TG03SE
Parish:BRISTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Workhouse (now demolished?).
Marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 6 September 1979.

Not demolished - still extant, see photograph and notes in file by J. Lodey (NLA).
E. Rose (NLA), 24 July 1996.

Almshouses at Briston bequeathed by Mr Berridge and Mr Tooley in 1650 are said to have been subsequently used for a time as a workhouse (S2), marked on (S1), but in 1836 it was used as rent-free houses for the poor (S3).
Information from linked thematic record.
M. Dennis (NLA), 2 August 2007.

Monument Types

  • (Former Type) WORKHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Former Type) ALMSHOUSE (17th Century to 18th Century - 1650 AD to 1797 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Briston Town Book.
<S3>Directory: White, W.. 1836. White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk.. 1st Edition. p 584.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service