Record Details

NHER Number:15129
Type of record:Building
Name:Walsingham Shire Hall Museum

Summary

This late medieval building may have been monastic. It dates to the late 15th or early 16th century. The structure of this early building suggests it had a main first floor hall with kitchen and services beneath or possibly a poor pilgrims' room below a hall for more wealthy clientele. In the 18th or 19th century it was used as a courtroom and the fittings now make up part of the Shirehall Museum exhibits.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9344 3683
Map Sheet:TF93NW
Parish:WALSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

15 January 1980. Visit. Shire Hall (Walsingham Shirehall Museum)
Late medieval (15th century) monastic? building with fine roof, now containing 18th/19th century courtroom.
For full details see (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 1981.

February 1980.
Traces of an iron grille in the base of the ground floor blocked window reported. Large numbers of Colly Weston slates found under the floor.
E. Rose (NAU), November 1982.

November 1982.
Chimneystacks to west end collapsed. Revealed stonework and brickwork of the fireplaces confirm the early dating of the building to the late 15th or early 16th century and the suggestion of a main first floor hall with kitchen and services beneath or possibly a poor pilgrims' room below a hall for more wealthy clientele.
E. Rose (NAU), November 1982.

Monument Types

  • MONASTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COURT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MUSEUM (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF9336 ABF-ABG,ABL-ABM.
---Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
---Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..
---Photograph: Rose, E. (NAU). 1980. Little Walsingham Shire Hall.
---Photograph: Little Walsingham Shire Hall. Exterior and Interiors..
---Newspaper Article: 1976. Eastern Daily Press. 6 September.
---Newspaper Article: 1996. Eastern Daily Press. 1 May.
---Newspaper Article: Dereham and Fakenham Times. 1989. 7 April.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Photograph: Rose, E. (NAU). 1982. CCB 34a-37a. Repair of chimneystack. Little Walsingham Shire Hall..
<S1>Unpublished document: Rose, E. (NAU). 1980. Building Report..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service