|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Hare Public House and village stocks (original site of)|
A mid 17th century brick and clunch house, substantially altered and rebuilt in the 19th century. The building is shown on Faden's map of 1797, when it was a public house. The wooden village stocks dating to the 17th or 18th centuries formerly stood in front of this building.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7655 3725|
|Parish:||DOCKING, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Former public house, originally a three cell lobby entrance house, probably 17th century, much altered and rebuilt in 19th century with a large cellar.
Some reused limestone.
Shown as the Hare Ale House on (S1).
See (S2) and (S3).
E. Rose (NLA), 22 April 2002.
These were originally set in front of The Hare public house, 6 holes for feet, no hand bars.
2 uprights, original iron hasps.
Seen E. Rose (NAU) 7 June 1979.
The inn and stocks were each listed grade II, see (S2), but the stocks had vanished by 2002.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 April 2002.
The stocks were in fact relocated to a small green by the village sign, and they are still there.
See NHER 51643.
D. Gurney (NLA) 08 July 2008.
- CELLAR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STOCKS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 308. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1152540. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2002. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|MNO7401||Related to: The Hare Public House Station Road DOCKING (Revoked)|
Find out more...