|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Norfolk Heights, formerly Docking Union Workhouse (Burnt Stalk)|
A former workhouse, built in 1836 by John Browne. The central façade has recessed arches around the windows and ornamental brickwork. During World War One the building was used as the officers mess for Sedgeford airfield (NHER 13162). The workhouse has now been converted into houses.
|Grid Reference:||TF 74929 37047|
|Parish:||DOCKING, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
6 June 1979. Visit.
1836 by John Brown.
Red brick, 36 bays overall.
Large three storey 6 bay centre, the end bays projecting with ornamental brick panelling etc. and blank windows on sides. Recessed bays have round headed windows on first floor and small blank square windows below top storey.
Porches against projecting bays.
This section has a courtyard behind.
The wings of 15 bays each are lower, 2 storeys, with pedimented slightly projecting central 3 bays.
These wings are occupied as houses but the centre is derelict.
E. Rose (NAU) 6 June 1979.
Used as officers mess for Sedgeford airfield from 1916 to 1920 (see NHER 13162).
Being converted to housing.
Seen briefly in passing.
All restored, facade covered in stucco.
E. Rose (NLA) 4 October 1993.
- WORKHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- OFFICERS MESS (World War One - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF7437 A-E. |
|---||Graphic Material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|---||Serial: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B.. 1989. The Buildings of England. Norfolk 2: North-West and South.. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1999. Sale advertisement. 12 February. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1990. Now you can live in a workhouse!. 6 July. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1989. Council 'blunder' over homes sale. 27 June. |
Related records - none
Find out more...