Record Details

NHER Number:14668
Type of record:Monument
Name:Remains of a skeleton drainage mill, south of Ludham Bridge

Summary

Remains of a late 19th century skeleton drainage mill. The lower part of the mill survives as the turbine was later adapted to be belt driven by a tractor or similar.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3739 1691
Map Sheet:TG31NE
Parish:HORNING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

March 1979. Visit.
Site of Jay's Mill
Only an overgrown mound remains.
E. Rose (NAU), 16 March 1979.

See (S1) in May 1977 he photographed four brick supports and iron wheel above pumphole. These have either been removed, or become so overgrown they are incorporated in the mound.

(S2) drawing confirms as trestle or skeleton mill at that time complete.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 September 1983.

6 July 1994. NLA air photography.
Structure of mill visible but overgrown.
M. Brennand (NLA), 13 March 2001.

Monument Types

  • DRAINAGE MILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1897 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG3716/P, Q.
<S1>Monograph: Smith. 1978. Drainage windmills of the Norfolk marshes: a contemporary survey.
<S2>Publication: Maxwell, D.. 1925. Unknown Norfolk. p 69. 2.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service