|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||All Saints' Church, Great Massingham|
All Saints' was the second parish church in Great Massingham, and was consolidated with St Mary's Church, NHER 2345, in the mid 15th century. The church was disused by the mid 16th century. The location of All Saints' is unknown although it may have been to the south of St Mary's Church where medieval human remains have been found, see NHER 30806.
Images - none
All Saints' Church, vanished.
(S1) says that it was consolidated with St Mary's (NHER 2345) in 1452.
 states that cottages immediately southeast of St Mary's churchyard are known as Chapel Yard and stand on glebe land, which he assumes means that this is the site of the church of All Saints. However, the evidence is far from conclusive.
E. Rose (NAU) 12 September 1991
Finds in 1994 of human skeletons on glebe land a little further south (NHER 30806) may confirm a site in this area.
(S2) states that the church is mentioned in 1254, 1368 and 1514 and that the list of rectors runs from 1301 to 1427.
E. Rose (NAU) 19 August 1994.
Appropriate section from (S2) in file.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 72 SE 17. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Unknown - USE SPECIFIC VOLUME WHERE KNOWN. |
|<S2>||Publication: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology, 51. Microfiche 5:G12. |
Related records - none
Find out more...