|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Skeletons and possible church or chapel site, Congham|
Rows of skeletons were found here during ploughing in 1971. These may be from a churchyard. A map of 1588 marks this as the site of 'Congham Chappell' which suggests the site may have been a dissenting chapel. It has also been interpreted as the site of the lost church of St Mary's that was disused by 1603, or a congregational chapel.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 710 238|
|Parish:||CONGHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Rows of fragmentary skeletons found after ploughing. No associations. Site of a lost church?
(S1) quoting (S2).
(S3) marks this on other side of Wood Farm as 'December 1970. Skeleton ; anvil'. However the Anvil Pit is the correct name and the only pit marked is to the north of this, so it would seem (S2) is more correct than the (S3), though the date of finding probably was December 1970.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 January 1981.
(S4) shows this as site of Congham Chappell, marked separately from Parish Church - suggests an early Dissenting chapel. However  believes this is in fact St Mary's and not site NHER 3596, the church being degraded to a chapel of ease in 1684. Compare NHER 3596.
E. Rose (NAU), 31 July 1981.
 believes this was an early Congregational chapel - see NHER 19347 and NHER 3596.
Appropriate section from (S5) in file.
- INHUMATION (Undated)
- NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Undated)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Congham. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 72 SW 26. |
|<S2>||Serial: 1971. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1971. No 18. p 4. |
|<S3>||Map: King's Lynn Museum. KLM 6 inch Record Map. |
|<S4>||Map: 1588. Congham Map. |
|<S5>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 162; p 53. |
Related records - none
Find out more...