Record Details

NHER Number:14159
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval brickworks, Brickyln Farm

Summary

This is the site of a post medieval brickworks. A kiln is marked on Faden's map of 1797 and a brickworks appears on the 1840s tithe map. One kiln was still in use in 1907.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9843 1513
Map Sheet:TF91NE
Parish:HOE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

October 1978. Field Observation.
A member of the public [1] advised that this was the site of a brick kiln. 'Brick walls in a hollow' were apparently visible here before dumping.A deep overgrown pit to the north could be seen during a visit to the site. The farm buildings seem 18th century, perhaps dating the kiln.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 October 1978.

1983. Documentary Research.
A tithe map of the 1840s (S1) shows a considerable brickworks here. Faden 1797 (S2) also shows a kiln.
The sale catalogue for Bylaugh estate (S3) marks this site and says that one kiln remains in use, 1907.
E. Rose (NAU), 25 January 1983.

Monument Types

  • BRICKWORKS (Post Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1540 AD to 1907 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Map: 1847. Hoe tithe map.
<S2>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S3>Unpublished Document: 1907. Bylaugh Hall Sale Catalogue.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service