|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible medieval cross|
Two large pieces of flint and mortar masonry have been found, one close to Tithe Cottage and the other close to Old Grammar School Barn. It is possible that they were once part of the same structure. Their original purpose is not known, although it is plausible that they were a medieval cross base.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3798 3104|
|Parish:||HAPPISBURGH, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
October 1978. Visit. Outside Tithe Cottage on south side road.
Massive L-shaped lump of flint and mortar about 1m high and 0.5m thick. 'Interior' of one side of angle seems to be a slab of black stone. Covered in moss. Part of cross base?
50m to west by side of Old Grammar School Barn is another similar mass but smaller and rounded, perhaps only a gatepost remnant - not with same appearance of age.
E. Rose (NAU), 19 October 1978.
The second lump as described above has been dug out of the ground by persons unknown and proves to be identical to the first lump; the two appear to be two halves of one very large square socket, but still no clear evidence as to origin.
E. Rose (NLA), 15 October 2001.
- CROSS? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG 3731A. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...