Record Details

NHER Number:13865
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Rectory


This medieval hall house had two upper floors inserted in the 17th century and a brick facing added to the timber frame. It was also remodelled in the 18th and 19th centuries. Reports suggest it used to be the house of the richest weaver in Norfolk.


  • The Old Rectory, Chedgrave.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TM 3584 9940
Map Sheet:TM39NE

Full description

19 July 1978. Visited.
Originally a medieval hall house, two upper floors inserted in 17th century making it house of five bays, two of these on additional north to south wing at east. Four dormers in roof. Angle pilasters topped by balls. Chimney stack added on east, central one rebuilt. 19th century additions in brick on north and east. Georgian doorcase on south. Blue pantiles. Formerly home of richest weaver in Norfolk - informant, owner.
E. Rose (NAU), 19 July 1978.

(S1) Grade II 1988 dates as 17th century 'of brick encasing earlier timber frame' - it is not clear whether this is meant to imply the frame dates from before the 17th century. Cruciform plan, part double pile to north. Good staircase of around 1680.
E. Rose (NAU), 9 August 1989.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Volumes of character in this fascinating house of books. 13 November.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 263.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050524.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service