|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Chedgrave Gate to Langley Park|
This pair of entrance lodges were built around 1784 by Sir John Soane and were restored in 1980. These one storey symmetrical gault brick buildings are decorated with engraved stone greyhounds supporting heraldic shields with the inscription TOUJOURS FIDELE (always faithful) beneath them above each window. The buildings are joined by a gault brick archway and a pair of iron gates that are curved to echo the brick arch.
|Grid Reference:||TM 3524 9941|
|Parish:||CHEDGRAVE, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Tall yellow brick archway, with ornament above centre between two objects resembling chimneypots (from lodges?); oval plaques on south face. Iron gates curve downwards mirroring the curve of the arch. Lodges each side attached to arch have rounded-headed windows to south with balustrade below, all in round-headed niche. On top of each dog holds a shield above inscription 'TOVIOVRS FIDELE'. Good condition.
E. Rose (NAU), 19 July 1978.
September 1960. Listed, Grade II.
Pair of entrance lodges and gates c1784 by Sir John Soane, restored 1980. Gault brick with limestone dressings and Coade stone decoration; roofs concealed by eaves parapet. Symmetrical design and with one-storey lodges flanking a central arched gateway. To the south, the lodges each have a central recessed sash window with glazing bars under a semicircular arched head. Blind balust- rade of seven bays below cill level. Moulded stone plinth and parapet. Above the window openings, on the parapet coping, a figure of a greyhound rampant, supporting an heraldic shield; on the base, the motto TOUJOURS FIDELE. Blind semicircular headed recesses in east and west walls. On the north side two centrally placed half-glazed entrance doors with glazing bars and semicircular headed fanlights. Central semicircular arched gateway with cornice of mutules surmounted by shaped pediment. Two chimney finials in the form of pedestals with twisted fluting. Coade stone medallions in arch spandrels. Pair of gates with square uprights with gilded spearhead finials, double lock rail and inter-mediate uprights to form dog guard. Gate tops swept to reflect line of arch above. Attached red brick boundary wall to south-west with saddleback coping.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 9 August 1989.
- ARCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GATE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LODGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- INSCRIBED OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 513; Pl 94. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050522. |
Related records - none
Find out more...