Record Details

NHER Number:13802
Type of record:Monument
Name:Congregational chapel


This is a large square brick building with a pyramidical roof and two timber porches with panelled doors. The entire building was rebuilt in 1821. It has internal galleries supported by iron pillars and the building is surrounded by a burial ground.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 2795 8846
Map Sheet:TM28NE

Full description

Congregational chapel.
Rebuilt 1821 according to (S1).
Very fine foursquare brick building with pyramid roof and two timber porches to doorways in facade. Two levels of sash windows. Internal galleries and porches. Burial ground.
See (S2).

1821. Meeting house type. Red brick rectangular block with low pitched hipped slate roof with wide eaves. Two storeys. Sides 3 widely spaced bays. South front 2 bays, sashes with glazing bars and flat rubbed brick arches. Ground floor left and right doorways with simple porches with slender columns supporting entablature with fluted frieze, moulded doorcases with panelled reveals and doors. Plain interior: box pews intact, gallery on 3 sides supported on slim iron columns and panelled octagonal pulpit on fourth side.
Information from (S3).
M. Dennis (NLA), 7 September 2006.

(S4) Includes description of building, a floor plan and details of monuments.
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 8 October 2012.

Monument Types

  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1821 AD to 2050 AD)
  • UNITED REFORMED CHURCH (Post Medieval to Modern - 1821 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Directory: Kelly, E.. 1937. Kelly's Directory of Norfolk..
<S2>Unpublished document: NARG. Building Survey. June 1978.
<S3>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S4>Monograph: Stell, C.. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. pp.235.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service