|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Site of 19th century maltings|
This large 19th century maltings is a red brick building. There are two sack hoists at the rear and kilns to the east.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9944 1289|
|Parish:||DEREHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
June 1978. Visit.
Large 19th century malting in red brick. Two sack hoists at rear. Kilns to east. Good condition.
E. Rose (NAU), 27 June 1978.
Owned by F&G Smith of Gt. Ryburgh. Group of three malthouses separated by 5m wide alleyways. All are brick built with tile roofs, replaced in the 1970s with corrugated asbestos cement tiles. Also in the 1970s the south building caught fire and had to be refurbished. They stopped working in the 1980s and at some point between that and a NIAS survey 1994 the buildings were mostly demolished.
W. Arnold (HES), 14 Febuary 2011
- MALT KILN (World War One to Cold War - 1916 AD to 1975 AD)
- MALTINGS (World War One to Cold War - 1916 AD to 1975 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: EDP. Eastern Daily Press. |
|<S2>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
Related records - none
Find out more...