Record Details

NHER Number:13466
Type of record:Building
Name:Black Boys Hotel

Summary

This inn was built in 1710 and has two storeys and an attic. The building still retains some original sash windows. The central bow window over the entrance has a balcony flanked by pilasters. There are also original interiors including a fireplace and chimneybreast with ritual marks.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1926 2689
Map Sheet:TG12NE
Parish:AYLSHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

March 1978. Visit.
Shaped gable to north. Facade with recessed panels, central bay with giant pilasters rising from bow window containing door and topped by iron railings. Fine moulded cornice. Very good condition.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 March 1978.

[1] reports that at least part of the carved and painted cornice is not plaster as believed but carved wood, discovered during repainting 1994.
E. Rose (NLA), 7 November 1994.

(S1) description notes; two storeys and attic; brick pilasters; sash windows. Notes the central bow window over entrance described above, with balcony flanked by pilasters. Shaped gable with internal stack to north, moulded brick string course on south wall. Good Jacobean staircase with two turned balusters per tread and covered tread ends. It adds 'much altered internall'. However, a very brief visit in August 2003 during renovations, when later cladding was removed, revealed that the room north of the entrance has north chimneybreast of 17th century brick with large fireplace part blocked by later one. End of original bressumer has hollow and roll moulding on upper side - perhaps a reused timber, but probably not - also ritual marks (AVs and poker burns). East west beam with angle rools, and large flat joists with same, all confirm early to mid 17th century date. Entrance was in fact a carriage arch until the 1930s. Room south of entrance has crude joists and at least three ceiling beams with joist holes at lower level, pobably all recent reuse (as is central post). 17th century stair is behind this room in angle of rear wing which has floor of large stone slabs and first floor ceilings of joists on edge, probably 18th century addition. (S2) dates façade to 1710 and says shaped gable has gone, but also believes interior is early 17th century.
E. Rose (NLA), 23 August 2003.

Monument Types

  • INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1979. Bygone age recalled at Aylsham hotel. 27 November.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. Good old look for inn place of history. 10 October.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S2>Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 367.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service