Record Details

NHER Number:13416
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval tannery


This is the site of a post medieval tannery, with the remains of tanning pits, and medieval pottery has been found. The site is marked as a mill on Faden's map of 1797.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0976 3150
Map Sheet:TG03SE

Full description

Tan Office is a 17th or 18th century flint faced building.
Remains of tanning pits visible in meadow to west.
12th and 13th century unglazed rim sherd found in garden.
Marked as Mill House on (S1).
E. B. Green (NCM)

Monument Types

  • MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TANNERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TANNING PIT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service