Record Details

NHER Number:13203
Type of record:Building
Name:Stanhoe Hall

Summary

Stahow Hall was built in 1703 for Jane Turner by her father Sir Thomas Turner, when she married the MP Thomas Archdale. The house is usually attributed to Henry Bell, and may be on the site of an older house as it incorporates the timbers of a 17th century or earlier building. This house is considered of an advanced style for Norfolk, especially the bolection mouldings on the chimneypieces. On the 12 June 1943 a Wellington aircraft of the 196 Squadron crashed in the grounds.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 8003 3700
Map Sheet:TF83NW
Parish:STANHOE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1703, probably by Henry Bell; documented history.
Altered 1841 and 1879.
Possibly on older site, incorporates timbers from a 17th century or earlier building. Detached stables.
See report in file (S1).

12 June 1943.
Wellington of 196 Squadron crashed in grounds.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 28 September 1992.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • LIVERY STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • AIRCRAFT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • AIRCRAFT CRASH SITE (World War Two - 1943 AD to 1943 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL PAINTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: FWD 24-6.
---Publication: Colvin, H.M.. Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840. p.105.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Grace and beauty to welcome Millennium. 10 July.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. Exploring a home of character. 12 July.
<S1>Unpublished document: Building survey..
<S2>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1998. The millionaire's club. 21 July.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1991. House dates to Queen Anne. 11 June.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service