|Type of record:||Monument|
The red brick hall was built in 1757 with stone and stucco dressings, a slate roof and carstone wings in Corinthian-Rococo style. The building originally had side pavilions which have now been built into the 19th century wings. The stable block also dates to 1745, but it was remodelled later into an early mock-medieval folly. Inside some of the rooms have mid-18th century fireplaces and panelling.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6874 3257|
|Parish:||INGOLDISTHORPE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
(S1) states built in 1745 as Mount Amelia, but (S2) dates to 1757. Latter describes as very fine red brick, English bond with raised pointing, stone and stucco dressing, slated roof, carrstone wings. Two storey, five bay centre on half basement, two parallel wings of irregular fenestration. West front to park with four half-basement, four ground floor and five first floor sashes. Central stairs to doorway, Corinthian-Rococo. Date 1757 on downpipes. Stone cornice and parapet. East front lesser quality, five bays with additional central porch of about 1820, Greek Revivial. Later 19th century pile added to northeast. Hall with stucco Zeus eagle; inner hall with repositioned 1757 stairs now into 1820 porch. Four rooms have mid 18th century fireplaces and panelling. Stable court is of around 1830 with Gothick tower and lesser towers. Good cast iron entrance gates to grounds.
Listed Grade II*, stables and gates II.
(S2) in file.
(S3) mentions a sun dial which is really a medieval cross said to have been found 'on the Peddars Way' but this is not mentioned in (S1).
A builder told E. Rose (NLA) that he believed an older building had been incorporated in the house 'by the present entrance' due to (what he considered) older work visible there.
E. Rose (NLA), 27 September 1991.
Detailed examination revealed no evidence of pre-1745 work. House is basically of this date, originally with side pavilions now engulfed within the 19th century wings. Stable block is also basically 1745, but remodelled later as an early mock-medieval folly. Important parkland with walled gardens, grotto in hillside, cottages, fountain etc. Icehouse demolished. The sundial mentioned was stolen.
See (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 3 October 2005.
The house has been extensively restored over three years.
See (S5) for further details
H. White, (NLA), 20 November 2009
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FOUNTAIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GATE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GROTTO (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ICEHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SUNDIAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 448. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Norwich Evening News. 2006. More cash needed to protect buildings. 11 July. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S3>||Serial: Bryant, T. H.. 1898-1915. The Churches of Norfolk. Vols 1-19. Vols 1-19.. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2005. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Restoration on a grand scale revitalises hall. 31 October. |
|MNO3081||Related to: Ingoldisthorpe Hall Brickley Lane INGOLDISTHORPE (Revoked)|
Find out more...