Record Details

NHER Number:12677
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of a medieval chapel

Summary

There are records suggesting that a medieval chapel stood close to St Faith's Mill (NHER 8026). Unfortunately no evidence for a chapel survives above ground and historic maps give few clues. As a result, the chapel's exact location is a mystery.

Images - none

Location

Parish:HORSHAM ST FAITH AND NEWTON ST FAITH, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

'Near St Faith's Mill is an old building known as The Moyse, which was probably the chapel of Southwood'
Information from (S1).

1977. Visit.
No such building in the area marked by Ordnance Survey as The Moyse.
E. Rose (NAU), 1977.

15 June 1978. Second visit.
Confirmed that present house called The Moyse is 19th century, with outhouse of crude brickwork but nothing of great age visible.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 June 1976.

[1] says she thinks the reference is a confusion with the ruined building at the mill (NHER 8026) which local legend connects with the church. Quotation in (S1) is based on (S2).

Probably the chapel went long ago and the story became attached to Mill Farm.
Tithe map (S3) is of no help. The names Chapel, Southwood or Moyse do not appear and the watermill is called the watermill and The Moyse house simply 'farm'.
Same applies to estate map (S4) from about 1780 in NRO.
E. Rose (NAU), 8 February 1982.

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Archive: Bolingbroke Collection.
<S2>Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1809. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol X. 375. p 438.
<S3>Map: 1841. Horsham St Faith with Newton St Faith Tithe Map.
<S4>Map: About 1780. Horsham St Faith Estate map.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service