|Type of record:||Building|
This white brick house was built around 1802. It has five bays and three storeys with two small flanking wings with dentilled cornices. The north facade has two doors inside a porte-cochere (moved from north wing circa 1960) with two pairs of Ionic columns. There is a central chimneystack. There are some red brick stables with a carriage house adjacent to the west of the hall
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 359 928|
|Parish:||ELLINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
August 1977. Visit. Ellingham Hall.
White brick house, five bays, three storeys (top windows smaller). Two small flanking wings with dentilled cornices; eastern projects further north, and has on its east side two gables above four windows each, two above two, mostly blocked, top ones smaller, with two windows on the link between. The wings have blank arches around the windows on south side, and on south facade of main block are bay windows, single storeyed, each side of a door. North facade has two doors inside a long stone porch with two pairs of Ionic columns. Central chimneystack. Two windows on north blocked; small square window added to first floor. Good red brick stables to west. Probable date around 1840. Good condition.
E. Rose (NAU), 2 August 1977.
This must in fact be pre 1838 as shown on (S1) not on (S2).
Course of main road altered. Hall stands on line of old road. Parish was enclosed in 1802. Built at same time, or later?
E. Rose (NAU), 9 January 1985.
An 'older section' was pulled down around 1920.
Information from the owner.
 states the house was indeed built soon after 1802, on the site of an existing small house, but the 'older section' mentioned was in fact later, a servants wing of around 1830.
E. Rose (NAU), 28 January 2000.
Inspection October 2012.
A good Regency building with Palladian low pavillions flanking the façade most effectively to the garden/ south elevation. Associated with the hall are the park boundary walls which are almost complete. See (S3).
S. Heywood (HES), 18 October 2012.
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TM3592 G-J. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Anon. (Norfolk County Council). 1990. Ellingham Hall and Park. July. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Unpublished Document: NAU. 2001. Evaluation Report no 596. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2012. Observations on Ellingham Hall, Ellingham, 2012. |
|56796||Part of: Ellingham Park (Monument)|
Find out more...