|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi-period finds scatter|
Metal detecting at this spot has recovered a range of prehistoric to post medieval finds. Highlights include a scatter of prehistoric worked flint, an Early Saxon brooch and a medieval copper alloy heraldic horse pendant. These finds are part of a larger Roman to Late Saxon settlement and Early Saxon cemetery complex.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 71 23|
|Parish:||CONGHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1977 or before.
Scatter of Iron Age sherds, plus other pottery.
Spread of worked flint found.
September 1984. Metal detecting.
Post medieval coin.
November 1984. Metal detecting.
Early Saxon brooch, Late Saxon strap end and medieval metalwork.
See list in file.
Falls within metal detecting scatter NHER 25765.
E. Rose (NAU), 8 February 1985.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon to Post Medieval - 851 AD to 1900 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- BOOK FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HARNESS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BOOK FITTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Ashley, S.. 2002. Medieval Armorial Horse Furniture in Norfolk.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 101. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|25765||Part of: Late Iron Age activity, Early Saxon cemetery and Roman to early medieval settlement (Monument)|
Find out more...