|Type of record:||Building|
This is the site of a possible medieval pub. The pub was bombed during World War Two and twenty one people died. The pub was rebuilt thirteen years later only to be burnt down in 1965 before being restored again. The present building includes lots of reused 16th and 17th century woodwork.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3443 1647|
|Parish:||HORNING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Claimed medieval origin
Present building modern but contains very much 16th to 17th century woodwork including Sir Benjamin Wrenche's Door.
E. Rose (NAU), 10 August 1981.
Wrench's door removed to unknown location in Norwich between 1981 and 1998.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 October 1998.
The building was bombed during World War Two. Twenty one people were killed and the oldest parts of the pub were destroyed. It was rebuilt thirteen years later. The roof of the rebuilt Ferry Inn caught fire in 1965.
See (S2) and (S3).
M. Deenis (NLA), 20 March 2006.
- INN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: 1987. Eastern Daily Press. 9 July. |
|---||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1981. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: 1997. Eastern Daily Press. 9 July. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: 2001. Eastern Daily Press. 26 April. |
Related records - none
Find out more...