|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Water Mill, Deopham Road|
This 19th century watermill, which stands on the site of earlier mills, is remarkable in that it is fed not by a river or stream but by a number of natural springs. The mill is a three storey building built of clay lump, of which few examples survive. The attached 19th century miller's house is also three storeys high, but built of brick. The mill ceased working in the 1930s and its machinery is long gone. It has now been converted to residential use.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 032 007|
|Parish:||HINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Water mill 'south of town' was worked not by a stream but by springs.
Information from (S1).
November 1978. Visit.
Large three bay, two storey irregular timber framed building, tall, perhaps 17th century or merely a local vernacular; no dateable details visible. Attached miller's house of brick, three bays, two storeys, seems mid 19th century. No machinery remains. Ceased working in 1930s.
Springs feed ford across track (probably old course of road). Pond is only 0.75m deep but never completely freezes.
One sluice drove the mill, still pouring into the 6m deep pit beneath, then travelling through a tunnel to emerge two fields to the north. Two other sluices discharge into ditches east and west.
Note a well also provided for drinking water, despite springs.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 November 1978.
(S2) marks a windmill on south side of lake. Why, if springs never failed as is claimed?
Informant adds the following details: the wind mill was here as early as 1771 (though not on (S3)); John Crome depicted it before 1813.
The post wind mill was replaced by a brick tower mill, called 'newly erected' in 1845.
The post mill body was taken to Banham (site NHER 10859) as a composite mill in about 1840. The last record of a miller 'wind, water and steam' is in 1900. Newspaper cutting in file (S4).
According to reference (S5) (copy in file) the mill is of clay lump for all of its three storeys and dates from 1841 to 8, on the site of a medieval mill mentioned in 1316.
E. Rose (NAU), 16 October 1998.
- WATERMILL (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 1920 AD)
- MILL HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WELL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Archive: Bolingbroke Collection. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map.. |
|<S3>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Watermill conversion. 25 February. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Mill converted into exceptional home. 16 October. |
Related records - none
Find out more...