|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Ten Mile Bank Engine, a post medieval pumping station|
A steam powered pumping station was in existence by 1820 when it had two scoop wheels, a very rare feature. The station was rebuilt in 1842 when a new engine house was built and a Butterley engine installed. In 1912 Allen engines were inserted. These were swapped for diesel engines in 1935 and 1948. The station was closed in 1980 and it has now been converted into a house.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 6007 9633|
|Parish:||HILGAY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Steam pump at mouth of Main Engine Drain, Ten Mile Bank.
Installed in 1842, enlarged 1878 to 1880.
The wheel is 13m (43 feet) in diameter.
Information from (S1).
The building was 'dismantled' in 1912 (perhaps meaning, converted from steam to diesel). An Allen T47 and an Allen Three-cylinder engines are now at the Prickwillow Museum of Drainage.
E. Rose (NLA), 27 May 1998.
However a 'steam engine' is marked here on (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), June 2002.
(S3) notes that this was in existence by 1820 when it had two scoop wheels, a very rare feature, built by Hague and Topham. The 1842 rebuilding involved a new engine house and a Butterley engine. The 1912 'dismantling' was indeed for the insertion of the Allen engines which were simple oil, not diesel, the latter not coming until 1935 and 1948. In 1980 the station was closed and became a house.
E. Rose (NLA), 3 December 2003.
- PUMPING STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Archive: Bolingbroke Collection. |
|<S2>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Hinde, K.. 2002. Pumping Stations of the Norfolk Fens.. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Journal. Vol 7, no 2, p 16-17. p 48. |
Related records - none
Find out more...