|Type of record:||Building|
This flint and stone Elizabethan country house has two storeys and an attic and a façade arranged in seven bays. There is a stone dressed entrance archway with the initials WM and a knot motif. The battened and studded door is also Elizabethan. A post medieval barn on the site was demolished around 1982. The remains of a small late 16th century building were integrated into farm buildings in the 19th century.
Images - none
Flint and stone Elizabethan building, with unusual cellar off screens passage. Post medieval barn nearby.
E. Rose, 28 April 1982.
The barn demolished at some time soon after 1982.
Small building, apparently late 16th century, found within 19th century farm buildings adjacent. Original form and function unknown.
See (S1) for a similar structure at Boundary Farm, Framsden, Suffolk.
E. Rose (NLA), 21 July 2003.
Further examination of hall, see (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 7 March 2005.
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CELLAR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|---||Photograph: Rose, E.. 2003. KJX 16 to 20 Hardley hall 19th century farm building containing 16th century building. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Photograph: CBA 3-6. |
|<S1>||Publication: Worsley, G.. 2004. The British Stable. p 50 plate 48. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2005. Building Report.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...