|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval chapel and post medieval workhouse|
This is the site of the medieval chapel of St Dunstan, founded in the early 14th century. A workhouse was built on the site in the post medieval period.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1168 3021|
|Parish:||CORPUSTY, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
In Chapel Close stood the 14th century chapel of St Dunstan.
According to informant who has researched early Saxthorpe maps, Chapel Close was the site of the above cottages which were part of a workhouse, and are said to have been built on the chapel foundations.
These cottages are now called 'Sunnymeade' and another is being rebuilt.
They show no signs of anything other than 18th century cottages, but villagers confirm this is the site, and it is on the top of a hill looking across to Corpusty Church, suitable for a chapel site.
E. Rose (NAU) 11 May 1978.
See NHER 6669, no trace of any burials etc. when excavating on adjacent site in 1982.
See (S2) in file.
Founded some time before 1313 by Aylmer de Valentia, Earl of Oembroke, see (S3).
Listed in Valor Ecclesiasticus (1535), see (S4).
J. Allen (NLA), 2 July 2003.
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WORKHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Archive: Bolingbroke Collection. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. |
|<S3>||Publication: Taylor, R. C. 1821. Index Monasticus. |
|<S4>||Monograph: Record Commission. 1535. Valor Ecclesiasticus. |
|<S5>||Article in serial: Wood, R. 1999. The Chantry Certificates of Norfolk: Towards a Partial Reconstruction. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 287-306. |
Related records - none
Find out more...