|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Village Hall, former Mission Room|
A nonconformist chapel/mission room that was built in 1880 and is now used as a village hall. It is constructed of flint with red brick dressings and has a slate roof. The main entrance is built of reused medieval masonry and there is a Norman arch and a sedilia inside. These reused fragments came from the Priory of St Faith (NHER 8005). In 1970 a human skeleton was found beneath the floor during restoration work.
Images - none
February 1977. Visit.
Built in 1880, its main entrance is an arch of about 1200 from the priory (NHER 8005).
Inside is said to be a smaller Norman arch and the sedilia from the priory church of the 13th century, but these could not be seen because the hall was in use. See .
E. Rose (NAU), 23 February 1977.
(S1) states that entrance arch is not genuine as it now stands, but formed of reshaped Norman fragments; but the 13th century sedilia is genuine.
E. Rose (NAU), 24 January 1983.
Human skeleton found under floor during restoration.
Information from .
E. Rose (NAU), 30 September 1991.
February 1984. Listed, Grade II.
Former Church Sunday School and Mission Room, dated 1880 in tablet over entrance door. Knapped and squared flint with red brick dressings. Slate roof. 1½ storeys. Symmetrical facade with central 1½ storey projecting gabled entrance bay. Entrance doorway of c.1200 re-set from St. Faith's Priory (q.v.) : semi- circular arched head with half dog-tooth decoration, roll moulding and fillet. Stiff-leaf stops to hood moulds. Engaged shafts with block capitals. Two- Light upper window with moulded brick drip. Three windows to each side of entrance : Two-light casements with leaded glazing set in chamfered brick surrounds with moulded brick labels. Parapeted east gable with brick bell- cote. Gable chimney stacks. Brick saw-tooth eaves. Interior contains two smaller door-arches and triple-arched sedilia heads from the priory church.
Included for group value and re-used mediaeval material only.
Information from (S2).
Now used as a village hall. Knapped and squared flint with red brick dressings. Slate roof. 1.5 storeys.
For further information see listed description.
D. Robertson (NLA), 22 March 2006.
- NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 567. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Sherlock, D. 1976. Discoveries at Horsham St. Faith Priory, 1970-73. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt III pp 202-223. p 204. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1372960. |
Related records - none
Find out more...