Record Details

NHER Number:12232
Type of record:Building
Name:College Farm

Summary

A 17th century brick house, with later alterations. The house has been converted into two dwellings.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6138 0141
Map Sheet:TF60SW
Parish:DENVER, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

July 1951. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Farmhouse, now 2 dwellings. Late C17 and late C20 additions. Brick with slate roof. T plan. Main C17 wing 2½ storeys with set-offs at each. 3 symmetrical bays. Central door under blocked semi-circular arch. Ground floor windows under gauged segmental heads. 3 first floor windows beneath rusticated segmental heads. All details C20. Dentil eaves cornice, gabled roof and 3 gabled C20 dormers. Gable stack to right. South gable shaped with high-domed top. String courses continue from front, rising over first floor window, which, with that below, has rusticated arch as before. Flat attic window. All fenestration C20.
Information from (S1).
H. Mellor (HES), 23 June 2017.

17th century brick house of 3 bays, 3 storeys including dormers.
Elaborate shaped gables.
Windows in south gable wall have hoodmoulds, and string courses between floors; that above 2nd floor raised over window.
Front door now converted to window.
Modern extensions at side and rear.
Very good condition.
Visited E. Rose (NAU) 17 February 1977.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1205515.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 281.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service