Record Details

NHER Number:12227
Type of record:Building
Name:The Priory, 4 London Road

Summary

This rather grand carstone and brick house was built in the second half of the 16th century. It was not a priory. The original garden front was replaced by a sash window range and a wing was added to the east around 1700. There are 19th to 20th century outbuildings. To the southeast an annexe, possibly a carriage house, built around 1700 has a tunnel vaulted undercroft dating between the 14th and 17th century.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6113 0308
Map Sheet:TF60SW
Parish:DOWNHAM MARKET, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

October 1997. Visit.
The Priory, 4 London Road.
Rather grand carstone and brick house of second half of 16th century. Garden front replaced by sash window range; added wing to east. Both probably around 1700. Interior much altered. 19th to 20th century outbuildings. To southeast an annexe, possibly a carriage house, around 1700 has tunnel vaulted undercroft of type elsewhere dated to around 1400.
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 3 November 1997.

However, the undercroft may be a local style of the 17th century - see (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 17 October 2003.

Monument Types

  • UNDERCROFT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CELLAR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..
---Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1998. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1997. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt I pp 193-210. p 196.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1997. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service