Record Details

NHER Number:12199
Type of record:Building
Name:Mitre House, formerly Old White House, High Street

Summary

A timber-framed and jettied house, built in the late 16th century or the early 17th century, with a brick wing to the rear of the building dating from the late 17th century. A recently rediscovered cellar was added in the 18th century. A horse skull and bridle were found buried underneath the front door, a tradition rarely practised in domestic houses.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 4015 1057
Map Sheet:TG41SW
Parish:ACLE, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Timber framed jettied street block of about 1600. Rear wing of brick with moulded beams, late 17th century. Cellar rediscovered 1995 under outshut is later; contained clay pipes. Horses skull found buried under doorstep. Possible smuggler's hiding place.
See (S1) and (S2).
E. Rose, (NLA) 30 October 1995.

Monument Types

  • CELLAR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • CEREMONIAL OBJECT (Undated)
  • CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL PAINTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. [unknown]. 14 February.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG 4010H.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 358.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051481.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1995. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service