Record Details

NHER Number:1219
Type of record:Monument
Name:Medieval occupation site

Summary

Excavations in 1968-1969 revealed that from about 1250, this site had wattle buildings and yards, these subsequently being covered in flood silt. On this silt were then built many more timber structures with jetties into the Purfleet. These were then succeeded by a stone warehouse in the late 14th century, which was itself replaced by a hall that collapsed in 1500. The site was then unoccupied until 1829.

Images - none

Documents/files/web pages

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6171 1999
Map Sheet:TF61NW
Parish:KING’S LYNN, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1968-1969. Excavation.
Carried out for the King's Lynn Archaeological Survey and M.P.B.W. between Baker Lane (previously Wingate) and the Purfleet, which formed the north boundary of the early 12th-century settlement. Excavation revealed that from around AD 1250, this site had wattle buildings and yards, these deposits represent successive stages in the silting of the Purfleet. In phase II (the latest) a slight structure of driven posts and timber complex A had formed a jetty, and had probably been abandoned in the 14th century, as silting raised the level of the river-bed. These were then succeeded by a stone warehouse in the late 14th century, which was itself replaced by a hall that collapsed in AD 1500. The earliest level, at 4 ft. below mean sea level, contained nothing earlier than the 13th century.
Excavation of this site was completed in 1969 and little material later then the 14th century was recorded. Three ranges of buildings were found to relate to the 13th and 14th century, all of which were built of chalk and rubble. There were two ranges which represent the domestic part of the building complex. Beneath the stone buildings a sequence of wattle-walled buildings, c. 20 to 25 ft. sq. which were fronted directly on to the street. A date of 1150-1250 has been suggested by the developed Stamford ware and Dutch blue-grey handled ladles. Pottery from Grimston, Stamford, Lyveden, and south-west and north of France, a scythe, needles, spindle-whorls, buckles, knives and various leather and wooden objects were found. Also discovered was a large quantity of animal bone includes fish (especially cod) and other organic material. The site was then unoccupied until 1829.
See (S1), (S2) and (S3) for further information.
E. Rose (NAU) amended by M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 11 July 2013.

Monument Types

  • BOUNDARY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FEATURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FENCE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HEARTH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WAREHOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WHARF (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • YARD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BOX (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • KEY (LOCKING) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • KNIFE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • NEEDLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PADLOCK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SHEARS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SHOE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SPINDLE WHORL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WEIGHT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WORKED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Monograph: Clarke, H. & Carter, A. 1977. Excavations in King's Lynn 1963-1970.. p 43.
<S2>Article in serial: Wilson, D. M. and Hurst, D. G. 1971. Medieval Britain in 1968. Medieval Archaeology. Vol XIII (for 1969) pp 230-287. p266.
<S3>Article in serial: Wilson, D. M. & Hurst, D. G. 1971. Medieval Britain in 1969. Medieval Archaeology. Vol XIV (for 1970) pp 155-208. pp183-184.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service