Record Details

NHER Number:12172
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of medieval hall, Matlask

Summary

This is the site of the medieval hall that was demolished in 1612 when Barningham Hall was built. Brick and flint foundations were noted when the area was ploughed and are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1482 3537
Map Sheet:TG13NW
Parish:MATLASK, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of the old hall of the Winters now under lawn between Barningham Hall and the lake.
Demolished 1612.
When this was a field and ploughed in the past, lines of flint and brick marked the foundations.
In making the ha-ha that separates the gardens from the lawn a few years ago a wall was discovered.
Information from [1]
E. Rose (NAU), 3 February 1977.

12 July 1994. NLA air photography.
Cropmarks visible.
H. Clare (NLA), 22 February 2001.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG 1435AP - AS.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.

Related records

30431Related to: Barningham Park (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service