Record Details

NHER Number:11978
Type of record:Monument
Name:The site of a post medieval barn with reused medieval stonework

Summary

A 19th century barn which contained reused medieval stonework, including a carved medieval corbel depicting the Trinity. The exact origin of the medieval stonework is unknown, it may have come from the Blackfriar's monastery in Kings Lynn, NHER 1176, which was demolished in the mid 19th century. The barn burnt down in 2001.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 693 163
Map Sheet:TF61NE
Parish:EAST WINCH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1971. Removed from gable of shed at Hall Farm, where it was recorded in 1964.
Limestone block carved with triple head described by [1] as only example in Britain, representing the Trinity, 12th century.
See (S1).
Barn still contains much reused stone.
Otherwise carrstone; not closely dateable, perhaps about 1800.
Visited E. Rose (NAU) 16 June 1981.

The head is illustrated in (S2) where it is stated to have come from the parish church.
This information came from source [1] but his reason for saying so is not given.
Can the amount of stone in the barn have come from the church rather than a monastic site?
E. Rose (NLA) 5 January 1995.

Source [1] has been misquoted.
He says only that the corbel may have come from the church but more probably from Kings Lynn.
See description in (S3).
E. Rose (NLA) 30 April 1997.

Barn, which had been derelict for some time, burnt out at some date soon before January 2001.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 January 2001.

15 November 2001.
Piles of material sorted after demolition of and, a number of medieval stone fragments, some 13th some 15th century, photographed and may be preserved.
Material may confirm origin at Benedictine House in Lynn.
Also an unusual medieval brick and tile.
See (S4).
E. Rose (NLA), 16 November 2001.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Rose, E.. KBJ 0-4.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Council for British Archaeology Research Report..
<S2>Monograph: Margeson, S., Seillier, F. & Rogerson, A.. 1994. The Normans in Norfolk.
<S3>Monograph: Harper-Bill, C. (ed). 1989. Studies in Medieval History presented to R.A. Brown.. p 348.
<S4>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2002. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk, 2001. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt I pp 162-177. p 166.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service