|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Braydeston deserted medieval village|
A medieval village, mentioned in the Domesday Book (1086) and the Nomina Villarum (1316). It was listed as having ten households in 1428, but was later deserted. No visible signs of the village remain today.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 339 088|
|Parish:||BRUNDALL, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
In (S1) and (S2). 10 householders in 1428. Information from OS card.
Visited 26 September 1979 by E. Rose (NAU).
Stubble field; no trace of earthworks.
The medieval Village is believed to have been situated close to the church of St. Michael's Braydeston. The tributary, Lackford Run, is believed to have been able to sustain fishing nets and watermills.
See (S3) for further details.
L. Allison (NLA), 5 August 2010.
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SITE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG 3308A-C. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 30 NW 3. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Publication: Brown, P (ed.). 1984. Domesday Book: Norfolk. Parts 1 and 2. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Nomina Villarum. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Brundall Local History Group. 2007. The Book of Brundall and Braydeston. |
Related records - none
Find out more...