Record Details

NHER Number:11629
Type of record:Building
Name:17th century Smugglers and Stocks Hill Cottage


17th century timber framed with projecting upper storey. 18th and 19th century brick chimney and gables.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1560 0861
Map Sheet:TG10NE

Full description

13 October 1976. Visit.
Timber framed with projecting upper storey; gable walls of brick project forwards to act as pilasters. Huge central chimney rises high above tiled roof, indicating original thatched, now has 19th century brick chimney perched on top. 16th/17th century?
E. Rose (NAU).

(S1) notes as 17th century lobby entrance house with 18th/19th century gable walls and roof.

Original newel stair beside stack; 'hollow chamfered spine beam' supported on 17th century turned baluster.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service