|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Antingham Hall, North Walsham Road|
A 17th century house that was extensively remodelled in the 18th century. It is brick built, two storeys high, has two wings and was restored in 1968. A group of post medieval brick farm buildings survive. During World War Two a searchlight battery was deployed on the site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2548 3230|
|Parish:||ANTINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
17th century with two storeyed porch topped by a shaped gable. Restored in 1968.
Information from Ordnance Survey card.
Not yet visited.
Searchlight station here in World War Two.
17th century, extensively remodelled in 18th century. Brick and pantiles.
17th century main range with south porch, 18th century outshutto the north.
To left and projecting forward a single bay 17th century range.
To rear of main range at right angles another long range with some 17th century brickwork.
Main south façade three bays, two storeys, flint plinth.
Two storey porch is off-centre though on middle bay with arched hoodmoulded entrance. To each side, 18th century windows in larger openings that used to cut plinth. This wall English bond with diaperwork.
Right hand gable and stack 18th century. Single bay 17th century projection has 20th century bay window west.
Long rear range has one mullioned and transomed three light ovolo moulded window to west; some diaperwork here; remainder 18th century.
At rear of main block 18th century window in two storey staircase outshut.
On interior, two Atlas figures in Ionic surround, reset by door, and part of 17th century stair repositioned.
Information from (S1).
Press cutting (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 8 June 1987.
For description of attached farm buildings see (S3).
(S4) confirms rear wing with diaperwork, bricks of 16th/17th century type, south wall with blocked windows on two levels. There is a vertical join to the edge of the west gable wall of this wing which appears to be later, perhaps 18th century, so the wing may have been reduced as part of the remodelling.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 June 2004.
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CART SHED (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GRANARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MALT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SEARCHLIGHT BATTERY (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. Hall and land for £76,000. 1 March. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: University of East Anglia. Farm Survey. |
|<S4>||Photograph: Unknown. 2004. Building Photograph. |
Related records - none
Find out more...