|Type of record:||Building|
This great house was built as a relatively small timber framed house during the 16th or early 17th century. It was greatly added to during the 17th and 18th centuries. The moated site (NHER 9410) to the south may have been abandoned during or after this work. Further alterations were made and a new façade was added during the 19th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1973 0513|
|Parish:||CRINGLEFORD, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
October 1987. Listed, Grade II.
House, adjacent to moated site, 16th century with additions of 18th century and 19th century; brick; 16th century build brick rendered, possibly over timber frame. Black glazed pantiles. Irregular plan, 16th century core of three bays with addition of lbay c1600 to east; attached three bay cross wing to west probably of late. 17th century encased c1850, all of two storeys; tall single storeyed range of late 18th century in angle to south. Facade to north: 16th century range to centre, rendered and colourwashed; brick crow stepped gable to left with external stack shared by attached single bay; jettied first floor; centre bay with gable and attached two storeyed flat roofed canted bay of 18th century; ground floor with cross window having leaded lights and pintle hinges to bay 1, similar opening but without leaded lights to centre bay, 19th century door to bay 3. First floor with three-light casement to bay 1, fixed window to canted bay having glazing bars forming a semi-circular head and splaying to top angles, stair window to bay three of fixed light with glazing bars and semi-circular head. Interior: very steep roof, staggered purlins, no ridge piece; central doorway originally exterior but now within canted bay, late 16th century, heavy ¼ moulded frame with nicked jewel stops; 18th century openwell stair, closed string with turned balusters, oak handrail, coved ceiling to stairwell. Lower two storeyed single bay to left, c1600, with integral lean-to to left (the remains of former wing) rendered and colourwashed; rectangular opening to lean-to with 17th century ovolo moulded wood mullions, garage door to ground floor with three-light casement above.
Interior: chimney bay to right with large stack; ground floor with 30cm floor tiles, lead water pump dated F B (Frances Bates) 1794, three tie beams with lamb's tongue chamfer stops; first floor with four-centred arch to brick fireplace in chamfered brick, L-shaped hinges, doorway between chimney bay and 16th century core with heavy moulded frame. West range: west front and right return encased in gault brick c1850, hipped roof of black glazed pantiles, three bays two storeys; central doorway with semicircular portico having two Tuscan columns and square pilasters, flat canopy with 20th century wrought iron balustrade; wide door with upper part glazed, glazing bars; recessed tripartite sashes to ground floor with gauged brick segmental arches; first floor with recessed sashes and glazing bars as to first floor of central canted bay of 16th century range to north; right return with openings as to west facade. North return flush with 16th century core, rendered and colourwashed, hipped roof; two storeyed flat roofed canted bay with 18th century sashes with glazing bars and crown glass to ground floor, two blank openings and central sash with glazing bars to first floor.
Interior: 19th century panelled doors; cellars of late 17th century brick, three tier butt purlin roof of old oak timbers having some principals in pine, narrow rafters in pine at angles of hips; roof probably refashioned and hipped c1850. Late 18th century tall music room within angle of west range and 16th century core, red brick with bowed facade to south slightly forward, black glazed pantiles conical to facade; brick dentil cornice; three tall semi-circular headed sashes with glazing bars to ground.
Interior: coved ceiling, two semi-circular headed doorways to west range; central classical fireplace to east in marble having reeded entablature. Two tall semi-circular headed recesses each side of central classical fireplace in marble with reeded entablature; tall narrow mirrors between windows with upper panels opaque with gilded lion's heads; 18th century window pelmets with gilded oak leaf decoration. Rear of 16th century range: in red brick with central flush tripartite sash with glazing bars to first floor; gabled attic dormer. Single bay to left rendered and colourwashed, three-light casement having pintle hinge to ground floor, flush sash with glazing bars to first floor. Various 20th century additions of no special interest. The house was known as Hellesdon House in the 16th century; from 1845-1959 it was the parsonage for Intwood and Keswick.
Information from (S1).
Originally a small jettied house, late 16th century; extended in 17th century and made into mansion in 18th century.
The moated site (NHER 9410) to the to the south may have been abandoned during 17th or 18th century.
See (S2) and (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 27 May 1992.
Newspaper cutting (S4) in file.
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval to Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 275-276. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050564. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 1992. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S3>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. £1/2m. Hall awaits a new guardian. 5 February. |
Related records - none
Find out more...