Record Details

NHER Number:11602
Type of record:Building
Name:St Mary's Church, Burgh


This church has a remarkable Early English chancel with blank arcading with stiff-leafed capitals on freestanding shafts. In the north wall of the chancel a set of fossil quoins are visible, suggesting the church may date to the Late Saxon or Norman period. The church roof and nave date to 1877 and many of the windows have Perpendicular tracery. The west tower is also Perpendicular and has flushwork, and fleur-de-lys decorations on the battlements. Inside there are several fine 17th-19th century floor tombs and a carved Perpendicular octagonal font.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2177 2504
Map Sheet:TG22NW

Full description

28 September 1977. Visit by E. Rose (NAU).
Remarkable Early English chancel; around base of wall blank arcading with stiff-leafed capitals on free-standing shafts (some renewed 1877) incorporating a lancet low side window on south. About on south wall, similar arcading around row of lancet windows (with buttress outside between two of them). However easternmost two bays, and east wall with triple lancet and circular window, is of 1877 by Phipson and Scott. This means that there are only two original blank arches, without lancets, on upper level of north wall: they are east of door to chapel also of 1877, but elaborate doorway is genuine Early English (though with renewed shafts) having good capitals. Was there originally provision for a
vestry here? Blank space in upper register between chapel door and chancel arch has blocked Decorated/Perpendicular window (visible outside only). Did this replace the arcading, or was it never completed? Roof of 1877. Nave is also largely of this date, but rood stair turret remains on south-east, with small early Perpendicular window above part of it.
Tracery of central early Perp window in north wall also original. South porch of 1877 with imitation piscina. West tower Perpendicular, flushwork, fleurs-de-lys on battlements, brick niches each side of west window, west soundhole in form of a wheel. Good 17th-19th century floor tombs. Chancel floor of old stone setts. 18th-19th century memorials. In tower old corbel and stone Royal Arms. Carved Perpendicular octagonal font. Chalice, Norwich, 1567: Paten, 1570.
E. Rose (NAU) 28 September 1977.

S. Ashley (NAU) reports in north wall of chancel just east of nave, a set of fossil quoins formed of large conglomerate blocks, Late Saxon or Norman.
E. Rose (NAU) 15 March 1988.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG 2125F-H.
---Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service